Thrifty Witch: Spell Page Inspiration on a Budget

Good Morning,
It's Tutorial Tuesday so you guessed it, I've got something splendid for you today. It has been a little while since I've written. I know, I know. To be fair, I did warn you that I'd probably trail off with this blog. Alas, I am here so let's get started. With Spring finishing up and Summer coming up I hope your pressing flowers using the flower press you made with my tutorial (or pressing flowers in books if you didn't have an opportunity to make the press).

So now you have these flowers but how will you store them if you aren't using them? Did you put your pressed flowers onto a spell page? If not, what will you do with them once they are pressed? You could frame them, you could leave them in the books you've pressed them in or you could make a pocket and put them in there which is what I plan to do with mine. It was also one of the ways listed when I wrote the article, 4 Ways to Add Pressed Flowers to Your Book of Shadows or Spell Pages.

One of the things I love about thrift stores is that you can find tons of old books that may be useful to the craft. You can also find lots of jewelry there as well (but that's another post for another time). So a few weeks ago I found this lovely book.








I bought some photo's on a trip and they put the print in this lovely bag. Now what is lovely about it is that it is exactly the size of a regular piece of paper (8in x 11in).





So all I had to do was use my template and punch the holes into the bag. Then I tore out pages with flowers I liked and I made collages on the front and back of the bag. Easy peasy!

Supplies needed:
  • Photographs, magazine clippings, ect
  • Glue (stick, Elmers or Mod Poge, which is what I used)
  • Scissors
  • Paper bag or envelope
  • Hole Punch
Instructions:
  1. Cut out your photographs or magazine clippings.
  2. Arrange them on your envelope or paper the way you want them glued down. 
    1. This step is really important because it will also show you the order in which you need to glue the images down if they overlap each other.
  3. Glue the images to the paper, making sure to glue down the first images for underneath, then overlay them until all your paper is covered.
  4. Grab your hole-punch and punch holes so you can insert the page or envelope into your post-bound book.
If you do not have a post-bound book and you want to use the envelope as a pocket, you can glue the collage envelope to one of the pages of your book. Just make sure you collage the envelope first and then glue it because otherwise you might glue the envelope shut on accident!

That's it! That's all there is to it. Fairly simple project and an easy way to spice up your spell pages or book of shadow. The hardest part is finding the right books, but with the right amount of patience one will come to you. You also won't feel bad about cutting it up because the books won't cost you that much. This one cost me $1.75 and it was already falling apart so it didn't hurt me to destroy the book. I basically just up-cycled it and it had a lot of fun information for me on the written portion of the pages to make notes in my book.


Comments

Popular Posts