Merry Mabon

Greetings I say to you on this very special day.

My altar with a few decorations, ready for Mabon!

Today I trimmed my Grams rose bushes and as I did I took for myself the finest of Flora's petals and thanked her for her blessings and her beauty and asked for aid in any magical workings in which her petals are used. It actually felt awful to trim them but I told myself that you trim away the bad so that in the spring new flowers will bloom and the bushes will grow back just as tall. This is autumn and this is what it means, the natural order of things. Things die (or in this case are trimmed) and out of that death something new is born in the spring.

Petals to dry out
Roses from a previous harvest - finally ready for plucking and storage.

We learn it and we live it every year and still as I did this I felt remorse in a way I never had before. I have found a deeper meaning in all works of life, not just my own this year. As I prepare for my ritual I have one last thing to shed - this blog entry and a purging of my mind.

This past year has been difficult. My Grams health failing, my mother's heart attack and my own illness has left us all weakened. As I trimmed the dead from the herbs in my small window box planter I sympathized with the dead leaves growing with the new. Older parts of me are dying, being shed off while the new bits still grow and flourish.

I live in Southern California where is ridiculously dry, it almost never rains and it almost never gets cold. It goes down at night into the 30's at most and during the day is a cool 50's at the least. I've lived in areas where it gets -20 degrees but my body doesn't take the cold the way it used to. Today it was a nice breezy day where I wore a sweater and never got hot once. That is my favorite temperature and I can't even put a number on it because I didn't look for fear my mind would spoil the glorious feeling of "sweater weather." It is short lived I am sure. It may be September but while others will see snow before Halloween we'll still be heading to the beach to cool off here in Los Angeles.

Oregano & Parsley that I harvested today. I've hung them to try using twine, decorative green glitter string & push-pins.
These came from a window box I have on my porch. You don't need a house or a fancy garden just some soil and some love. Nature will do the rest. I wished my Rosemary and Basil were ready but not quite.

I took this and the fact that my allergies were acting up as a sign from the Goddess that this day was meant for me. It was perfect. I've done or will do all the things I love today. I spent time with my family, time with the Earth, time with my Book and time in my garden that I'm just growing to love. Soon I will take a bath and do my ritual and then I'll have spent time with my God and Goddess and I will meditate on the things I want to accomplish before Spring and add them to my Mabon Tree.

Now to rant about pointless things that do not really blend with the feel of this post but still was needed to be shed in order to clear my head:
  • Tuesday I go back to school and after having several weeks to really bear down and work on my Book I am not sure how I feel about this. I know I need to go back but the will is not there. I want to spend more time wrapped up in my religion. 
  • I've been trying to expand my visions lately. I keep dreaming of an ex-fling of mine. 3 dreams in the last two months at least and I'm not quite sure what they mean yet. I'm not going to give up on figuring them out. I've always had premonitions in the form of a dream, but they are never black and white. I'm working on figuring these things out before they happen.
  • I've decided I am going to try to plan less in the next few months. I always say this but I'm going to make an active effort this time to fly more by the handle of my broomstick than to charter a plane if you know what I'm saying! ;) I probably won't with the blog because I enjoy structure and scheduling these out but having every second of my day planned and having anxiety because I missed something or I am off my time frame is rather unsettling. I'd make an excellent personal assistant. I truly would.
Alright, time for me to hit the showers. Until next time my dear, dear readers.
Blessed Be & Merry Mabon to all,

Comments

Popular Posts