Ivy Celtic Tree Month Starts Today

Good Morning All!

While where you are standing it might still be September but for me it's The Ivy Celtic Tree month. You see it goes from September 30th to October 27th, exactly 28 days. This is because the Celts honored the trees in their area by naming each one of the 13 lunar cycles after one of their beloved trees. I like this a lot better for my magical workings than using the "new calendar" system.



"As the year comes to a close and Samhain approaches, the Ivy moon rolls in at the end of the harvest season. Ivy often lives on after its host plant has died -- a reminder to us that life goes on, in the endless cycle of life, death and rebirth. The Celts called this month Gort, pronounced go-ert. This is a time to banish the negative from your life. Do workings related to improving yourself, and placing a barricade between you and the things that are toxic to you. Ivy can be used in magic performed for healing, protection, cooperation, and to bind lovers together." - About.com

I really enjoyed that little paragraph. I feel it is beautifully written and fitting. I've become so obsessed with Celtic Mythology and anything to do with Ireland (at some point I am destined to go there and collect soil and plant matter) these days it just seems to make more sense. The more I learn the easier it is to tie into my work and if I keep it in practice I won't lose it. Being part Irish it speaks to me on many levels.



I was interested after finding out about these months to see what my birthday fell under and if it had anything to do with me and my personality. It definitely does. My birthday falls under The Hazel Moon (Aug 5th - Sep 1) and my favorite part of the piece on the Hazel Moon from About.com is,

"Hazelnuts are also associated with wisdom and protection [...] This is a good month to do workings related to wisdom and knowledge, dowsing and divination, and dream journeys. If you're a creative type, such as an artist, writer, or musician, this is a good month to get your muse back, and find inspiration for your talents. Even if you normally don't do so, write a poem or song this month."

Obviously, I am a creative type and the beginning of the month I was having some health problems, sidelining me to doing nothing (I can't even run or walk too much) and essentially sparking the more crafty witch in me. I've become obsessed with anything crafty for the whole month of September. Mainly because I am stuck in bed or at my desk so its easy for me to accomplish a lot. Granted, this month ended literally on the day I got sick (September 1st) but I subscribe to that "better late than never, so let's get to work" mindset and that definitely applies here. It may have been the last day of the month but it gave me a muse didn't it?

For Mabon I did an activity tree craft and it was so easy to fill those 20 cards. I should have made more but I know my life will pick back up soon and I won't have as much time for crafting as I should. I made out a calendar so that I would be able to manage my time blogging, practicing The Craft, school work and doing other things all at the same time.

If you'd like to learn more about Celtic Tree Months I highly recommend About.com's little walk-through. They are quick and easy to breeze through in a matter of 10-15 minutes and very informative.


Comments

Popular Posts