Native American Pow-Wow 2014

Hi guys, so last year if you will remember I shared pictures of the annual Pow-Wow the local Native Americans host in my big-little town. I didn't take as many pictures this year because I actually went and danced with the Aztec Indians when they invited people to join in their dance. Boy oh boy did my calves and legs want to kill me the next day. I swear I thought they were going to detach themselves in protest!

Warning: This post is extremely picture heavy!



















































I took with me my niece who is actually part Native American as my sister and brother's grandmother on their dad's side was part Cheyanne. She simply wanted a dream catcher while I was looking for a "Bear Ring." They had some but they weren't what I was looking for or they weren't in my size as I have large chubby fingers. Most rings only fit my pinky. :/ I did manage to snag a guy's card who said he would work with me on making me a custom ring so once I get a job I plan on e-mailing him and working on a design and payment plan. He asked me if I had a bear tattoo and I lamented that I did not. I never found a "spirit bear" image that I liked and he asked because I have and owl and a fox tattoo but I was seeking a ring with a bear - My dad had always called me bear, and very few other people are allowed to call me that. I want a ring to commemorate it. Something I will always wear and not take off.



I did pick up this very neat Hawk Skull. I love bones and animal skulls. They had tons of beaver skulls, muskrat skulls and other various parts of animals. I didn't see any Antlers but I've always wanted, since I saw it in someone's home, an antler chandelier. I learned that the bucks actually shed their antlers, they do not have to die or be killed for them so that made it ok for me. I threw a fit when I saw it originally. Native American's typically used every part of the animals they hunted; bones, sinew, hide, the meat and the organs. They typically also thanked the animals for their sacrifice. Seems like the Native American and Pagan traditions aren't too different.

Comments

Popular Posts